Mission and governance
QIX's mission is to establish and operate an Internet Exchange infrastructure that meets the needs of local, national and international foreign network, content and Internet Service Providers. The objective is to raise the peering rank of Montreal's privileged place elevate the status of Montreal to that of one of the preeminent peering locations in the in the Canadian and North American market.
View our current bylaws here (in French).
QIX was able to sponsors a few events and projects in the last years, thanks to its members.
The list of sponsored projects is currently limited to only PeeringDB but the board is currently working in sponsoring more projects that benefits its membership.
You can view the PeeringDB page of our organization here.
The QIX was incorporated in 2013 as a nonprofit organization (NPO) under the name of the Internet Exchange of Montreal (EIM) Inc. that will allow each member connected to enjoy the benefits and advantages of the exchange. RISQ has been the operator of the EIM and ensured the management of the entire operation of the exchange, including membership and connection members, supervision and technical monitoring, service management portal members and billing until June 2019. The new operator is now MetroOptic Inc.
Current board members:
- Seth Crimmins, President of the Board, VP of Operations at Westelcom - Since 2017
- Annie Pronovost, Vice-chair of the Board, Head - Telecommunications projects at Hydro-Québec - Since 2020
- Alyssa Moore, Treasurer, Senior Policy and Advocacy Advisor at CIRA - Since 2019
- Philippe Girard, Board member, Director Operations and Technology at MetroOptic - Since 2019
- Christopher Morrell, Board member, Senior Network Analyst at Fibrenoire - Since 2020
- Roland Alarie, Board member, Manager - Product and Solution Engineering at Beanfield - Since 2020
- Jonathan Senecal, Board member, Network Engineer at Mindgeek - Since 2020
- Jonathan Breault, Board member, CTO at B2B2C - Since 2021
- Karl Morin, Board member, CEO at Hive Data Center - Since 2021
Former board members:
- Benjamin Desmarais, CEO at Fibrenoire - From 2013 to 2015
- Christian Malo, Manager - Carrier Relations and Peering Strategy at Cogeco Peer1 - From 2013 to 2016
- Michel Vanier, General manager at RISQ - From 2013 to 2016
- Daniel Jakots, System and Network administrator at Evolix - 2017
- Daniel Legault, CEO at MetroOptic - From 2013 to 2018
- Daniel Besner, General manager at RISQ - From 2017 to 2018
- Allan MacGillivray, Senior Policy Advisor at CIRA - From 2013 to 2019
- Jonathan Breault, CTO at Technologies Optic.ca - From 2013 to 2020
- Sylvie LaPerrière, Interconnect Strategy at Google Inc. - From 2013 to 2020
- Gabriel Blanchard, Director of Network Operations at Start Communication - From 2014 to 2020
- Chris Conn, Secretary of the Board, Technical Director at B2B2C - From 2018 to 2021
- Eric Dugas, Board member, Director of Network Operations at EBOX - From 2015 to 2021