Mission and governance
QIX's mission is to establish and operate an Internet Exchange infrastructure that meets the needs of local, national and international foreign network, content and Internet Service Providers. The objective is to raise the peering rank of Montreal's privileged place elevate the status of Montreal to that of one of the preeminent peering locations in the in the Canadian and North American market.
View our current bylaws here (in French).
QIX was able to sponsors a few events and projects in the last years, thanks to its members.
The list of sponsored projects is currently limited to PeeringDB and NLnet Labs (Unbound, Krill, Routinator, etc) but the board is currently working in sponsoring more projects that benefits its membership. QIX sponsored industry-related events like the Canadian ISP Summit, Cologix Connect Montreal, NANOG65 (2015) and NANOG85 (2022) in Montréal.
You can view the PeeringDB page of our organization here.
The QIX was incorporated in 2013 as a nonprofit organization (NPO) under the name of the Internet Exchange of Montreal (EIM) Inc. that will allow each member connected to enjoy the benefits and advantages of the exchange. RISQ has been the operator of the EIM and ensured the management of the entire operation of the exchange, including membership and connection members, supervision and technical monitoring, service management portal members and billing until June 2019. The new operator is now Metro Optic Inc.
Current board members:
- Karl Morin, Chairman of the board, CEO at Hive Data Center - Since 2021
- Eric Dugas, Vice-chairman of the board, Director of Network Operations at EBOX - Since 2022 (returned)
- Philippe Girard, Board member, Director Operations and Technology at Metro Optic - Since 2019
- Christopher Morrell, Board member, Unaffiliated - Since 2020
- Jonathan Breault, Board member, CTO at B2B2C - Since 2021 (returned)
- Massimo Pannunzio, Solutions Architect at Vantage Data Centers - Since 2022
- Mickael Rodrigue, Outside Plant Project Manager @ Zayo - Since 2023
- Boris Mimeur, SVP Technology @ CENGN - Since 2023
- Michel Blais, Senior Network Architect @ Targo Communication - Since 2023
- Jonathan Senecal, Architecture and Operations at Metro Optic - Since 2022
- Mariève Thiffault CPA CMA, Partner at Thiffault Plouffe Vincent CPA - Since 2022
- Pascal Dubuc CPA, Analyst (Consultant) - Since 2023
Former board members:
- Benjamin Desmarais - From 2013 to 2015
- Christian Malo - From 2013 to 2014
- Michel Vanier - From 2013 to 2016
- Daniel Jakots - 2017
- Daniel Legault - From 2013 to 2018
- Daniel Besner - From 2017 to 2018
- Allan MacGillivray - From 2013 to 2019
- Jonathan Breault - From 2013 to 2020
- Sylvie LaPerrière - From 2013 to 2020
- Gabriel Blanchard - From 2014 to 2020
- Chris Conn - From 2018 to 2021
- Eric Dugas - From 2015 to 2021
- Annie Pronovost - From 2020 to 2022
- Roland Alarie - From 2022 to 2022
- Jonathan Senecal - From 2020 to 2022
- Roger Brulotte - From 2022 to 2022
- Alyssa Quinn - From 2019 to 2023
- Seth Crimmins - From 2017 to 2023
- Eric Dugas, From 2021 to 2022